Ulasan berita Indonesia dan internasional dari peristiwa, politik, teknologi, berita unik, dan hiburan

loading...

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

[RSS] ProfHackerProfHacker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education / On Not Over-Thinking Things

[RSS] ProfHackerProfHacker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education / On Not Over-Thinking Things - Hallo Pembaca Portal Berita, Berita kali ini adalah [RSS] ProfHackerProfHacker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education / On Not Over-Thinking Things, Berikut ini artikelnya.

lihat juga


[RSS] ProfHackerProfHacker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education / On Not Over-Thinking Things

On Not Over-Thinking Things
George Williams

I don't know about you, dear reader, but I often find that I am my own worst enemy when I'm trying to get things done. I tend to be a perfectionist, which means I dread completing important tasks for fear of screwing them up, which means I procrastinate, which means I take much longer to complete tasks than I should, which means things start to pile up on my to-do list, which fills me with even more dread about completing the tasks on that list.

You get the picture.

One strategy I have for not getting myself into this position in the first place is to remind myself that the perfect is the enemy of the good. Most of what I do just has to be pretty good in order to be good enough, and being so focused on trying to reach what I think is perfection only leads to results that are instead not good at all.

Another strategy, though, is try to stop over-thinking things. I've been working on automatic responses to certain situations, responses that don't require me to think at all. This could be as simple as deciding after a certain point that I've reached my limit on service obligations and that — provided it's not going to cause a significant problem for someone else or for me — I'm just going to say "No" to any requests for joining yet another committee. I don't need to consider the situation: my answer is "No."

Also, I find it extremely useful to have a standard response to those student emails that don't really seem to be asking me anything but that also seem to require an answer of some kind. So, for example, although my course policies make clear that I don't need an explanation for student absences and that there's no need to let me know why you missed class, some students feel the need to email me an explanation anyway (and each one is different, of course). So I just always write back, "Okay, [name], thank you for letting me know." In fact, I have a keyboard shortcut that automatically expands into that exact phrase for just such an occasion. And if they ask me to explain what they've missed, I have another keyboard shortcut that expands into a reminder of what my course policies say: get the notes for that class meeting from someone who was there, go over them, and let me know if you have any questions.

Now, coming up with a stock response to certain categories of student email is not exactly a brilliant, life-changing development. But for me it's an important example of what I need to do more of: stop over-thinking things. Here's a situation that I've seen before and will see again. This is what I do in this situation. Now I'm going to move on to what I need to do next. It helps.

How about you? What are your strategies for not over-thinking things?

["Knot" by lizjones112 is licensed under CC BY]

RSS Feed

RSS to Email Formatted

IFTTT


Itulah Berita [RSS] ProfHackerProfHacker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education / On Not Over-Thinking Things

Sekian berita tentang [RSS] ProfHackerProfHacker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education / On Not Over-Thinking Things, mudah-mudahan bisa memberi manfaat untuk anda semua

Anda sedang membaca artikel [RSS] ProfHackerProfHacker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education / On Not Over-Thinking Things dan artikel ini url permalinknya adalah https://beritahubulat.blogspot.com/2018/05/rss-profhackerprofhacker-blogs_2.html Semoga artikel ini bisa bermanfaat.